Effective communication helps to enhance relationships by enabling people to understand each other, resolve differences, and create an environment where trust and affection can grow. In this information age where people are constantly sending and receiving a huge amount of information, effective communication can be ignored.
Making meaningful connections is lost in all the SMSes and use of abbreviations and other communication tools. There are many ways to improve communication and ensure improved relationships.
1. Being a good listener is one of the best ways to enhance communication. It is important for your audience to know that you are interested in what they have to say. Listening is not just about hearing the words; it is about understanding how the person feels about what they are saying.
2. Body language is an important part of non-verbal communication. When people are talking, they use non-verbal signals like gestures, eye contact, facial expressions and other movements. Learning how to interpret the signals helps to improve communication because it helps you to connect with the audience. You can also tell if what you are saying is resonating well with your audience.
3. Emotional awareness can help to improve communication. When you are aware of how you feel and how your audience feels, you can communicate more freely. The non-verbal cues that people give out can help to dictate the tone or direction of the communication.
4. Avoid monopolizing the conversation and allow the other person to respond. Some people talk to others as if they are lecturing them and this does not allow the other person to respond. Communication is a two way street and it is important to pause in order to give your listener time to respond.
5. Effective communication needs to be courteous. It is rude to respond with grunts or worse still silence. When someone is speaking to you, you should try not to act irritated, especially when you are dealing with customers.
6. Do not use jargon when you are speaking as it usually comes out as patronizing. No one likes to listen to someone who is trying to make him or her feel stupid. Make sure your audience understands what you are trying to say.
7. Get to the point and avoid long-winded conversations (Especially in email blasting) that have no relevance. When someone is in a hurry or wants specific information, they do not want to listen to a long story that does not seem to have any rhyme or reason. A bored audience is not likely to understand or respond to what you are saying.